The Cook Center organizes its research, programmatic and scholarship activities around several domains:
A rich interdisciplinary community, Cook Center research scholars pursue projects that produce synergy across various fields of inquiry as well as between researchers at Duke and scholars around the world.
Major Research Questions
- How do group identities vary over time and space?
- What factors influence variations in group identity formation over time and space?
- What is the relationship between group identity established by self-classification, social-classification, and legal classification? Which is most salient and in what contexts?
- How does intergroup inequality vary over time and space?
- What factors, including mechanisms of group identity formation, affect the degree of intergroup inequality over time and space?
- What are the consequences of the persistence of intergroup inequality over time and space? To what extend does intergroup inequality contribute to interethnic violence, trauma and social instability?
- What are the best policies that can be executed to product sustained reductions in the degree of intergroup inequality?